Monday, June 16, 2014

Reflection = Growth

Alright, I'll be honest.  If you observed me my first week of teaching, you probably would have never come back (at least not to learn from me...maybe to help me out!)  I definitely did not start off as an all-star teacher.  And I'm still not there yet, but I have definitely grown since my first days in the classroom!!  I have attended many professional developments, observed other teachers, read articles,  etc. etc. but I attribute my growth to two major things:

1. reflection
2. a teachable attitude/being willing to learn from anyone (not that I'm perfect at this)

I'll post more about the second point another time (because I think this is crucial to growth not only in teaching, but in life).  My point for tonight is reflecting = growth. Reflecting on your day is where rubber meets the road.

Whether your lesson is successful or miserable, if you don't reflect, you aren't growing as much as you can.  Reflection is where you recognize your strengths and areas for growth. Reflection is where you face your failures and decide they will be learning experiences and opportunities to overcome. Reflection is where you decide that what you do matters and how you respond matters (and you realize that your actions are in your locus of control, even if your students' actions aren't). Reflection is where you go from bad to good, good to great, and great to greater. 

So, let's say your lesson was awesome.  Don't leave it there, instead ask yourself:
1. What steps did I take in planning/implementing this lesson?
2. What worked? Questioning? Scaffolding? My anchor chart? Grouping of students?
3. Why did those things work? How did I set my students up for success?
4. How can I take what I did today and use the strengths in my next lesson?
5. Why were my students engaged? What did I do? Did they connect with the content? Did they enjoy the materials?

On the flip-side, let's say your lesson didn't go so well.  Ask yourself:
1. Was it my plans or my management?
2. Why did my students struggle? Was it the content? The lack of scaffolding/support? Were they not engaged?
3. What did go well and how can I build on that strength?

So...take mental notes, take physical notes (I have a "next year journal" by my desk for most things I won't get a chance to re-do during the year...other things, I try to make changes the next day), talk to people... make some ACTION STEPS so that you use your reflections in a purposeful way that leads to growth, not just dreaming.  Then, go from great to greater to AWESOMEST (so awesome, you can make up your own word). :)

Side note, the reason I decided to write this post tonight, is because today I had the opportunity to reflect constructively and think of ways to increase engagement during my read-aloud non-fiction texts.  So, be looking out for a post (COMING SOON) titled "Read-Aloud Engagement Strategies."

And a little free advice...whenever possible, leave your reflections at the school door. Try to not take them home with you. This is where journals, post-its, and to-do lists come in handy. Because my friends, teaching likes to take over your brain...but don't you're more than a teacher. Obviously exceptions to this would be if you have a blog about teaching (YIKES!)


:) Sweet dreams, teacher friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment