Thursday, June 26, 2014

Shared Reading Time

This summer, the objectives for shared reading have centered around VOCABULARY and READING FLUENCY.   

Remember, there are 5 components of teaching reading:

1. Phonemic Awareness
2. Phonics
3. Vocabulary
4. Fluency
5. Comprehension

All of these components are integrated.  If you can't sound out a word, you won't read fluently. If you're not reading fluently, you won't comprehend the text well.

We spend 10 minutes on vocab, and 10 minutes on reading.  All of my vocabulary is on a PPT...it just helps me stay organized! :)  And I also put the poems on the PPT.

I've also been focusing on vocabulary development during Shared Reading.  So for each vocab word from the poems, my students make a vocab flash card.

  • Monday - they write the words and parts of speech on separate index cards, and then they look for the vocab words in the poem and highlight them (this ties in to being fluent readers...they must be accurate to be fluent!)
  • Tuesday - they draw a picture to show the meaning
  • Wednesday - they add the definition
  • Thursday - they write a sentence on the back
  • Friday - we play games with the words   
*for my favorite vocab game, students hold the word (without looking) to their head and others have to describe it to them (kind of like Taboo)...an awesome co-worker taught me this one! :)
I've used this shared reading time to FOCUS on explicitly teaching students what it means to be a FLUENT reader.  I've used these rubrics to help them rate themselves and each other.  On Monday, I don't use a rubric, because I model, give them time to practice, and front-load vocabulary.  But Tuesday-Friday, I just focus on one rubric a day.  I found these rubrics on http://www.fcrr.org/ which has an AMAZING number of resources!

Student-Friendly Fluency Rubrics (from http://www.fcrr.org/)

 I hope this gives you insight into my sequencing, planning, and pacing during shared reading!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to steal your idea for teaching vocabulary!!! I struggled with explicitly teaching vocabulary, it totally got lost in the shuffle of all the "other" things they needed

    ReplyDelete